Highland central hub
The Highland Center Hrauneyjar (Hálendismiðstöðin) is situated at the edge of the country’s most impressive and active volcanic area. Surprisingly enough only 150 km from Reykjavik and with an excellent paved road providing all year-access in any kind of vehicle, we are easy to reach and find.
From here it is a short distance to many of the most beautiful and popular tourist attractions in the highlands - including Landmannalaugar, Thjorsadalur, Mount Hekla, Sprengisandur, Veidivötn and Fjallabak. The vastness and lack of human impact on the surrounding area makes it truly one of the last places in Europe where freedom, natural beauty and solitude are combined in a breathtakingly powerful experience. The hotel is well accessible by paved road all year round and is only 150 km from Reykjavik.
- It is known as the "last outpost" before entering the highlands
- Close to all the Highland attractions including Landmannalaugar
- Trout and char fishing in this pristine area are world-class and it has still barely been discovered by guests from outside Iceland
- Hiking trails and mountain activities are also memorable experiences to be endeavoured here
- Gas station & shop
- Top Northern light viewings
- Horseback riding
- Super jeep Tours
- Plethora of nearby activities and attractions
The guesthouse has a well-known restaurant with heartwarming food serving up to 180 guests. We also have a gas station, an information center, a fishing center, service facilities, a TV room, and a shop selling an assortment of goods and food articles. We also provide daily weather and road reports for travelers venturing into the Highlands and many times act as a center for excursions heading there.
We offer both made up beds and sleeping bag accommodation at the Highland Center:
- 20 rooms with double bed, with bathroom. Cat - 2
- 26 rooms with double bed, without bath. Cat - I
- 30 rooms with twin beds, or bunk beds, without bath. Cat- I
- 17 additional rooms (L-house, open from 15.Juni to 15. Sept.) with twin beds, without bath, (Cat-1) - 1, 4 km away, next to the hotel Highland. This building (The L-House, open from 15. Juni to 15. Sept) is also equipped with public cooking facilities. No such cooking facilities are offered elsewhere on the Hrauneyjar property. Double rooms are also sold as single rooms.
Hella South Iceland
Phone (+354) 487 7782